Recently I went to Turkey for a week’s holiday with 2 friends from university. When I was there I realise how differently we all travel. My friends don’t get to travel often so going on holiday is a big affair which means its nice accommodation, taxi’s and comfort. I am lucky enough to do quite a few trips a year so this for me that means I want cheap accommodation and generally I don’t step into many taxis. I somehow managed to convince them to stay in a hostel in Istanbul and while this was fine for me I doubt they will be volunteering to stay in many hostels again.
It was a great holiday, for me all holidays are. It did make me realise yet again how lucky I am to have the opportunity to travel as much as I do to be able to go to so many different places and experience so many things.
Turkey was great and so different to what I thought it was going to be like, firstly it was great to get away from the UK ‘summer’ and get some guaranteed sunshine for a whole week. We spent a few days in Istanbul, Fethiye and Bodrum and were constantly greeted by Turkish people that were so friendly and we really did so much – site seeing, paragliding, scuba diving , snorkelling eating some incredible food and enjoying the most amazing sunsets.
Paragliding was possible one of the most incredible things I have done, Running off Babadag (mountain) near Fethiye at 1800m was easier and less scary then I thought and for me there was no adrenalin rush, you are literally on the mountain for 5 minutes and then you are gliding through the sky. It is so serene and spectacular. As the sun was setting and filtering through the clouds we were gently floating down in such a peaceful manner.
Looking around made me think just how small we all are in comparison to the massive world around us. You can’t help but smile at the beauty that is around us.
I wonder if giving me control is a good thing??
If you want to see a video clip check it out here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD-fGUd5d4w
Communicating with people can often be quite entertaining especially when there English Is not the best. I like this part of travelling though. So often are we in non-english speaking countries and just expect people to know English to help us. When people do know English, no matter the level, I am impressed as here we are in their country and they are speaking our language and we are able to communicate. And so many of the people I met in Turkey had not studied English but learnt it from people on their way – amazing!!
I am really starting to enjoy my camera and hopefully getting better with each picture that I take...
What a fantastic trip. I'm sorry your friends didn't like the hostel. I haven't traveled too often but I think I would want to stay in a nicer place as well : ) I just like to sleep well.
ReplyDeleteI love all of the adventure you captured. Absolutely beautiful. Wishing you many more trips in your future.