Monday, 27 June 2011

This is London

A rare thing happened this weekend in London – The sun was shining.
IMG_2912

And I don’t mean how it has been for pretty much all of summer so far where the sun is shining (on the odd lucky days) but it’s still chilly so you definitely need a jersey. It was sunny and hot and WOW what a different place London is when it is hot, people are out about happy and laughing wherever you go. Beer Gardens are brimming to capacity and the streets outside pubs are filled to the edge of the sidewalk as on these rare nobody wants to be inside.

London’s vibe can change so much in these days that I wish they would come more often. You are more willing to go out and about, to travel to the other side of London(if not further out) just for a drink, the parks are packed with people trying to catch some rays and the next day the streets are dotted with lobster red people from getting to excited that there was sun and forgetting the sunscreen.

On Saturday I found myself on the Southbank initially taking pictures for my photography course and then forgetting about that and taking pictures of the people and commotion that is the Southbank. So much activity I could sit there for a whole day and people watch and not be bored! It was one of those days when I have a moment when I just stop and think ‘This is London.... I am in London!’ You are surrounded with all the sights every day that it becomes mundane and part of the background but once in a while when I am walking home over the Waterloo bridge and have a view of Big Ben and the London Eye, when I walk past St Pauls Cathedral or it’s a sunny day on the Southbank with all the crowds watching the street performers, I stop and I am just in awe of everything around me and realise how lucky I am to be here and get to do the things I can.

IMG_2872

So take a moment. Look around and take in the sights and sounds that you so often look over.

IMG_2917

IMG_2930

IMG_2991

IMG_3000
I love how Big Ben is just eyeing you out from the back

0 comments:

Post a Comment